Allan McGarvey is a Kalispell native who has been practicing law for over 30 years. The emphasis of his work has been in major civil litigation and class actions to vindicate the rights of consumers with insurance claims and needless injury by reckless corporate conduct.
Allan’s practice emphasizes class actions, complex litigation, and asset recovery through challenges to corporate mergers, spinoffs and trusts. He was lead council in the Columbia Falls Aluminum Company profit sharing litigation and the shareholder litigation over the dismantling of the Montana Power Company. Each of these cases was settled in the range of $100 million. Allan has had an active appellate practice in the Montana and federal courts and is part of the team of lawyers advocating for the victims of the Libby asbestos disaster.
Allan also has an advanced law degree in sustainable international development and is working to advance justice-related initiatives in Central America.
University of Washington School of Law
Master of Laws, 2011
University of Montana School of Law
Juris Doctor, 1984
University of Montana
B.A., Biology, 1979
- U.S. District Court of Montana
- Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- * Montana Bar Association, Member
- Montana Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Honors & Awards:
- Montana Appellate Advocacy Award 2019
- 1998 Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Trial Lawyer of the Year Finalist
- 2020 MTLA Appellate Advocacy Award
- Authored the Montana chapter in the American Bar Association’s Manual “A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions”